Guam Historical and Cultural Landmarks
|War in the Pacific
National Historic Park Guam
War in the Pacific National Historic Park. The War in the Pacific National Historical Park-Guam was established on August 18, 1978 to commemorate the bravery and sacrifice of those participating in the campaigns of the Pacific Theater of World War II and to conserve and interpret outstanding natural, scenic, and historic values and objects on the island of Guam.
|War in the Pacific
National Historic Park Guam
Asan Beach, pictured here, is one of 6 units of the Park and was was one of the main landing areas of the American invasion to recapture Guam from the Japanese in 1944. Other units are Asan Village, Piti, Mount Chacho , Alifan, and Gann Point in Agat. Visitors can still see Japanese coastal guns, pillboxes, caves and other relics. Asan Overlook on Nimitz Hill, left, offers breathtaking views of the Bay and landing area. The War in the Pacific National Historic Park visitor center and museum is currently located just north of Asan Beach Park, but is scheduled to be relocated to Asan Overlook in the next few years.
|Gaan Point – Agat|
|Japanese Coastal Gun
Japanese World War II Landmarks. A number of World II Japanese gun emplacements, caves, foxholes and pillboxes as well as sunken ships and airplanes (Japanese and American) still abound around Guam and under Guam’s clear waters. Japanese coastal guns in the village of Piti, Gann Point in Agat and Gun Beach in Tumon are accessible by foot. The camouflaged gun emplacements at Gann Point are connected by a network of tunnels were virtually impregnable by the sea, but were eventually knocked out by American tanks approaching from the rear.
|Japanese WWII Mini-Sub|
The Japanese also constructed an extensive system of tunnels in the Hagatna area using forced Chamorro, Okinawan and Korean labor. Entrances to the caves, such as the one in Latte Stone Park in Hagatna, can still be seen around the island. Sunken ships and airplanes are accessible to scuba divers and snorkelers. A captured Japanese WWI min-submarine that was sunk outside of Apra Harbor was raised and is currently on display at the Navy Museum just outside the Naval Station main gate.
|War Dog Monument|
War Dog Memorial. The War Dog Memorial, ” Always Faithful.”, located on the Naval Facility adjacent to Sumay, honors the Dobermans that served with the Marines in 1944 courageously and valiantly performing duties such as leading scouting parties, exploring caves and serving as sentries. Twenty-five dogs were killed in action and buried, on Guam. For more information check Louise Neumann’s War Dog Memorial WEB site or “Always Faithful, A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WW II”, by William W. Putney.
|Japanese POW Steps
Naval Station, Guam
Japanese POW Steps. Japanese prisoners of war held at the Guam Naval Station were assigned various masonry and construction duties. This series of three steps located near Sumay is one example of their work that remains in excellent condition today. An inscription in Japanese characters translates as: “In memory of prisoners of war on the island of Rota, on the 27th day of the 7th month in the 21st year of the reign of Emperor Hirohito.” This would be 27 July 1946.
|Dulce Nombre de Maria
Dulce Nombre de Maria.
The first Catholic Church on Guam, the Dulce Nombre de Maria (Sweet Name of Mary) Cathedral Basilica, was originally constructed in central Hagatna in 1669-1670 by Chamorro’s under the direction of Padre Diego Luis de San Vitores on lands granted by Chief Quipuha, the ranking male of Hagatna at that time. This structure survived until World War II when it was destroyed during the shelling of Hagatna in preparation for the American invasion. The present church was constructed on the original site in 1955-1959.
|Pope John Paul II|
Santo Papa as Juan Pablo Dos Monument. This bronze monument commemorates the visit of Pope John Paul II (Santo Papa) to Guam in 1981. The significance of this visit magnified as it was the visit the first papal visit to Guam since Christianity was introduced by the Jesuits in the 17th century.
|Statue of Liberty|
Located in the center of Chalan Santo Papa Juan Pablo Dos Street, also named in John Paul’s honor, between Plaza de Espana and Skinner Plaza, the statue stands on the exact site where John Paul held mass in February 1981 and rotates one full revolution every 12 hours.
Statue of Liberty. This replica of the Statue of Liberty stands in the Paseo de Susana at the entrance of Hagatna harbor and visible to boats approaching the harbor. The statue was dedicated by the Boy Scouts of America in 1950 in observance of their 40th anniversary.